We are ‘Sisters in the League’. Under the patronage of Our Lady of Good Counsel, we have regular monthly meetings where we pray together, plan our activities, hear what is happening across the country, and socialize with our sisters.
Learn more below, or get connected with the Annunciation CWL by joining us at our next meeting on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:00 PM in the parish hall.
Who are we?
CWL is Canadian national women’s organization founded in 1920. It all began in Edmonton in 1910, when Catholic women in the city formed a group to assist immigrant women settle into their new land. Following their example, women in other Canadian cities did likewise. In 1920, these groups came together at the invitation of Bellelle Guerin, President of the group in Montreal, to discuss the idea of forming a national organization of Catholic women. This became the Catholic Women’s League of Canada.
The Catholic Women’s League calls its members to grow in faith, and to witness to the love of God through ministry and service.
- To achieve individual and collective spiritual development;
- To promote the teachings of the Catholic Church;
- To exemplify the Christian ideal in home and family life;
- To protect the sanctity of human life;
- To enhance the role of women in church and society;
- To recognize the human dignity of all people everywhere;
- To uphold and defend Christian education and values in the modern world; and
- To contribute to the understanding and growth of religious freedom, social justice, peace and harmony