1. Make the Sign of the Cross with the priest.
We say: “In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.”
2. Tell the priest how long it’s been since your last confession.
I say: “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It’s been (days/months/years) since my last confession.”
3. Tell the priest your sins.
I say: “My sins are ________, ________, and _________.”
When you finish, say: “These are my sins.”
4. Listen as the priest gives you advice. He might tell you a story, or give you a penance, which is something good to do. This will help you show Jesus you’re sorry.
5. When prompted, pray an act of contrition:
“My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you
whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help,
to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In his name, my God, have mercy.”
6. The priest prays the prayer of absolution. By the power of the Holy Spirit, your sins are washed away. Close with the sign of the cross.
7. When you leave: Take time to thank God for his mercy, and to complete your penance (if possible).